Sunday 5 February 2017

Ton Scherpenzeel (featuring Chris Rainbow) - The Lookout (1984)



This was one I accidentally stumbled on to 7 years ago. A solo album by the Dutch keyboard player Ton Scherpenzeel, featuring vocals by a guy named Chris Rainbow. I mean, that's all I need to hear to know that this album is going to be worth checking out, and it delivers.

This is an ultra uplifting track with nothing but synths, synth bass, and four on the floor drums. It definitely gives me that Never Ending Story vibe. Synthy, a little majestic, a little mysterious, but ultimately is feels like a sci-fi fantasy.

But in addition to that, these vocals are really something else. Only in the 80s could you be this deadly serious while sounding like, well, this. It's almost hard to fathom, but it never gets old for me knowing that what this is something that is not being marketed to me at all. A song out of time, with it's messages long since gone. It is whatever I want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment