Wednesday 4 January 2017

Ronnie Laws - Big Stars (1983)


Ah hah! I found a way around the fact that this song has embedding disabled. Not sure why they would want to deprive the world of something this good.

Listen, this song has almost been a life changer for me. For as simple a song as this is, I have probably listened to it a hundred times over the last 8 years. This is one of the songs that I always go to when I am trying to reference what synth bass should sound like. It's just a single synth with some chorus on it, and seemingly no volume or filter envelope. I don't have the guts to break out a patch like this that has no envelopes, but I respect the hell out of the way this track did.

It's amazing to me that this was "good enough", and they chose to go with this patch instead of an actual bass player as this is a fairly simple track and a lot of the focus is carried by that synth bass. There had to be a decision somewhere where they heard this sound and were like "Yes, this beats a live bass, hands down". They wanted this sound to mix with the live vocals, sax. That is the kind of thing that makes me wonder, with a smile.

I suppose my smile would be pretty similar to ol' Ronnie Laws album cover here. When it comes to synth bass, you damn well better obey the law!

No comments:

Post a Comment