Thursday 5 January 2017

Eddie Murphy - Party All The Time (1985)




It's a little regarded fact, but this track is loaded to the brim with synth. In fact, there is nothing but synth, vocals and drums. There isn't even a little fiddly guitar section until suddenly there is a shredding solo. It's just synth until then, and I could not be happier.

Now, I realize that this song is easy to make the butt of a joke, but let me tell you something mister, this track destroys! This is a synth pop anthem up there with the best of them! It's nothing but synth!

Once again this is a Rick James track. The credits essentially read that he made the song by himself, and maybe Eddie came in to record that chorus and called it a day. That's fine with me, I actually like the idea of a supremely talented and driven musician just reaching out and bringing in people to make new stuff. We wouldn't have this track otherwise. A real oddity of the 80s.

No comments:

Post a Comment