Monday 16 January 2017

Bonnie Pointer - Premonition (1984)



The Pointer Sisters can do no wrong. They were one of those groups who were famous for a couple tracks, like "I'm So Excited". When a band gets a song to be that well known it's really easy to assume that's all the good stuff they had to offer, otherwise, why haven't you heard anything else from them, right?

Well the Pointer Sisters were a group that turned everything they touched to gold. They were fantastic vocalists, and great showmen, and they really seemed to care about their craft. they also surrounded themselves with great musicians, which is where I am coming from today.

The synth bass player on this album appears to be John Van Tongeren, who was the synth bass player on the last track I posted, Mr. T's Commandments. That's how this works. You find one good synth bass on a track, you don't look for the artist who the track is named after, you look in the credits to see who was credited on synths and keyboards, then see what else they were on, and BAM, you find more magic!

That was exactly how I stumbled on to this. I had already heard this solo album from just one of the Pointer Sisters (Bonnie Pointer) before, but some how this song got past my detectors. It's loaded with what I believe is a unison and detuned thick synth bass from the Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 keyboard. But I could be wrong. What is important is just how damn good this track happens to be as well. This is what #SynthBassNight is all about.

Also, elephant in the room, this is quite the provocative album cover... And I ain't hatin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment